Natural Home Remedies for Sinus Infections
Sinusitis is a condition that impacts the daily lives of many Americans. Anyone who struggles with a sinus condition understands how the symptoms of sinusitis make daily life painfully difficult. The symptoms of sinusitis result in countless hours of missed school/work, a decrease in productivity, and impaired ability to enjoy life to its fullest. Some common symptoms sinus sufferers struggle with include:
● Headache and facial pain
● Coughing, sneezing, runny nose
● Nasal Congestion or post-nasal drip
● Sleep disruption (loss of sleep and fatigue)
Sinusitis and Sinus Infections
A sinus infection takes place when one or more of the sinus cavities become infected. The human body has four main sinus cavities that play a critical role in breathing. An infection occurs whenever a virus or bacteria enters the body and causes inflammation. This inflammation is known as sinusitis (sinus infection). Inflammation of the sinus cavities can cause many uncomfortable symptoms including:
● Pain around eyes, ears, cheeks, or forehead
● Drainage in the throat or nose
● Difficulty breathing
● Nasal congestion
● Sore throat
Treating Sinusitis Naturally
Sinus sufferers that want real relief without pharmaceutical side effects will be happy to hear there are numerous safe and effective home remedies for sinus infections. The solutions promote natural sinus drainage, target underlying inflammation, and help prevent additional infections.
The most effective and safe natural solutions include the use of water in the form of liquid, vapor, or mist. Water enables the sinuses the ability to begin the healing process through penetrating the blockage and allowing mucus to drain naturally.
H2O: A Natural Solvent
Pure water is one of the most powerful solvents on earth. When treating a sinus infection, water can be used to clean the sinuses, thin out mucus, and dilute a blockage. Natural sinus treatments may involve the use of liquid, mist, or vaporized water.
The vaporized form of water (steam) is one of the most effective ways to treat a sinus infection. Warm water vapor naturally rises and can enter the sinus cavity by breaking through a blocked nasal passage. As steam continues to pass through the nasal blockage, mucus is thinned, and the sinus cavities can begin the process of natural drainage. This form of treatment is also effective in soothing the pain that results from sinus inflammation. Water vapor treatment is a simple and inexpensive home remedy that can be accomplished in several ways:
● Steam Pot: Start by carefully placing a pot or bowl of warm liquid on a solid surface, then place a towel or sheet over the head to help trap the steam. Keep a safe distance from the bowl and breathe deeply through the nose, allowing steam to penetrate the sinus blockage. When handling hot liquids as water and steam special care should be taken because both forms can cause burns to the face and body.
● Warm Shower or Bath: Spend a few extra minutes breathing deeply through the nose in a warm shower or bath. This can help aid the natural healing process and alleviate symptoms.
● Steam Machine (Warm Mist Humidifier): These electronic devices produce steam that can be breathed into the nasal passages. They may provide a safe alternative to a steam pot as they do not involve transporting hot liquids.
Liquid Water (Sinus Rinse)
Introducing a saline (salt) water solution directly into the nasal passages is another effective treatment. Nasal rinses come in many forms and involve various mixtures of sterile water and sodium solutions. These rinses can be sprayed into the nose or pumped/poured through the nasal passage. Sinus rinses are safe and effective but do come with risks. Special attention should be given to the instructions from the manufacturer, they are designed to prevent injury or further infections from improper use. Some of these instructions may include:
● Water Temperature: It is important to not introduce hot water into the sensitive areas of your nasal passage, this can easily cause internal burns.
● Water type: Using distilled or sterile water is crucial. Tap water, bottled water, filtered water, and spring water are not safe to introduce to the sinus cavities. They may contain trace amounts of bacteria or other organic matter that could result in further inflammation and infection.
● Water purity: When reusing a sinus rinse container be very careful to clean and store it as instructed to prevent bacteria growth inside the container.
Mist (Cool Mist Humidifier)
Cool Mist humidifiers utilize other forms of technology to produce a mist from cool water. Just like steam, this mist can be breathed into the nasal passages to reduce blockage inflammation. This is an excellent alternative to steam because there is no risk of burns from hot water, making it perfect for children and the elderly.
Along with the use of water, vapor, and mist the following methods are highly effective in helping the body heal and reducing the severity of sinus symptoms:
● Proper Hydration: Your body must be properly hydrated for its natural processes to work towards healing infection and inflammation.
● Elevated Sleep Positioning: Keeping an elevated head at night allows gravity to naturally promote mucus drainage through the nasal passage.
● Cool or Warm Compress: Rotating warm and cool compresses on the face and around the sinus areas will help to reduce inflammation and promote natural drainage. They are also effective in relieving symptoms like sinus pressure and headaches. When placing hot and cold items on the face it is important to be very careful as it can result in burns or damage to the skin and eyes. Do not place hot or cold items directly on the skin and limit the amount of time for each compress to 15-20 minutes.
Natural Remedies Work:
Natural Home remedies are safe and effective in preventing and treating sinusitis. Over the counter medications can be expensive and cause side effects that no one wants to deal with, these simple and inexpensive home remedies offer an alternative form of treatment. However, for some sinus sufferers, home remedies may fall short in providing long-term results. For those who suffer frequent or extended sinus infections, it is important to see a medical professional. Untreated sinus infections may lead to further medical complications and impact overall health.
For the patients who need medical treatment, our team of skilled sinus care specialists can diagnose and treat the source of chronic sinus pain and provide convenient modern treatment options, including balloon sinuplasty. Balloon Sinuplasty is a safe and minimally invasive solution for long-lasting sinus relief. It is an in-office procedure that gently inflates the sinus cavity to clear blockage and restore natural flow from the body. If you would like more information on balloon sinuplasty and other treatment options,